Crossbite, underbite, overbite or deep bite: When it comes to braces, orthodontists quickly throw around a wide variety of terms. But when are braces helpful and necessary?
Orthodontists are dentist who are university trained in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of dental and facial irregularities. Dentists often disagree on when treatment is essential for wrongly positioned teeth. Sometimes it is necessary to visit several dentists to get an independent picture on what needs to be done. You want to be cautious of the first advice you get because dentists also want to make money and might not offer you a cost effective solution.
People that need braces can be categorised into one of the groups below.
- Overbite (distal bite): the upper teeth are clearly in front of the lower ones
- Underbite (distal bite): The lower teeth are in front of the upper ones.
- Cross-bite: The lower molars are more outward than the upper ones.
- Open bite: The upper teeth do not protrude over the lower ones when biting.
- Deep bite: The upper incisors almost completely protrude the lower ones.
- Crowdedness: the teeth do not have enough space in the jaw and overlap each other.
- Gaps: Teeth have too much space in the jaws and do not touch.
Depending on the position of the teeth, specific treatment methods are then available. A dentist will treat most often the mis-position of the teeth with fixed braces; sometimes, an operation is also necessary.
Apart from the mis-position mentioned above, appearance is one of the main reasons why people choose braces. Unfortunately, medical insurance does not cover aesthetic cases, so that you have to pay out of your own pocket. The cost of braces depends on the type of and material. Generally, there are four types:
- Classical fixed
- Almost invisible
Braces can be very costly. You not only need to pay a one time for the braces, but every year you need to plan for follow up check and re-adjustment.
Traditional braces cost about RM5,000 – RM6,000 over 2-3 years. Higher quality ones can cost anywhere between RM10,000 – RM15,000. Online blogger chanwon.com wrote an extensive story about her experience My Braces Story: Put on braces, damon braces sytem, price & my experience
Save on braces cost, when you join the Smile Again Dental Discount Program. You get a minimum of 25% discount on full dentures which is a minimum saving of RM1,250 – RM1,500 on traditional ones. Also, you get a free yearly check-up, cleaning and emergency treatment.